Exeter Cathedral Library

The Exeter Book was donated to the Library of Exeter Cathedral in 1072 by Leofric, the first bishop of Exeter, and contains the earliest known examples of Old English poetry in existence. At various times it has been used as a medieval carpenter’s chopping block, had glue spilt on it and suffered from scorching. It is believed originally to have contained 131 leaves, of which the first 8 have been replaced with other leaves; the original first 8 pages are lost.

LINKS

– Exeter Cathedral Library will be closed throughout 2011 – see their website for more information